Spiritual Writing Group to start the week of January 19, 2020
- What is spiritual writing? Spiritual writing could be defined as writing that engages the spiritual aspects of ourselves, others, and the universe. It may or may not be about “God.” It is different for each person. It includes autobiography/memoir, biography, devotionals, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, screenwriting, and songwriting.
- Why have a Spiritual Writing Group? To encourage each other and hear each other’s stories. Expressing and hearing about the spiritual aspects of our lives can lead to a deeper understanding of our own lives and the lives of those around us. This group will not be primarily oriented towards producing published works, although that could happen. It will be oriented around exploration and expression. It is my hope this group will nurture our creative souls.
- Who will lead the group? The group will be led by me, Karin Forno. Why me? I have an MFA in Creative Writing and experience leading workshops. I have been working on a memoir, have published poetry and non-fiction, and I feel called to start this group.
- How often will we meet and for how long? I would like to suggest we meet every two weeks for 90 minutes. This may be adjusted depending on the desires of the group.
- When and where will we meet? We will meet in a classroom in Clay Hall. When depends on the responses of those interested. I want to pick a time that suits the most people interested.
- Anything else I should know? You will be asked to purchase a book titled The Soul Tells A Story by Vinita Hampton Wright, available on Amazon in print or e-book versions. We will focus our meetings around readings and assignments from this book. Used books are available through various retailers for a lower cost if desired. You will be asked to do reading and writing assignments in between group meetings.
If you are interested: please email or call Karin Forno at firstname.lastname@example.org, 831-920-2044, or leave your name and contact information with the church office.